INSIGHTS Study on Sickle Cell Disease and Leg Ulcers — The purpose of this study is to 1) understand the role of the skin microbiome in formation and delay in the healing of leg ulcers in sickle cell disease, 2) understand genomic, environmental, and social factors that may contribute to better health an complications of sickle cell disease.
You may be able to participate if:
- you have sickle cell disease
- you are over 18 years of age
- you have or you do not have a leg ulcer
What you can expect:
- compensation will be provided for time and travel
- sampling your skin microbiome for participants with and without leg ulcers
- wound care treatment for participants with leg ulcer
- sampling your blood for clinical and genomic analysis
- completion of survey questions on health care experiences and quality of life for all participants.
For more information, call 301-451-3997 or email SCDLegUlcerStudy@mail.nih.gov.